Saturday, February 6, 2010

Better than Barbacoa



Posted by Picasa
For those of you who know me, I really could eat Mexican food at least once a day. Ok, for every meal.
One of my favorite Mexican eateries is  Barbacoa. Big fat burritos, burrito bowls, salads, and soup.
I have been on a quest to figure out this recipe, and well, I think I found it. Another thing I could eat everyday is soup, but not my husband. So when I received a request to make this soup for a second time I was surprised.

I took this chicken posole recipe, and this chicken posole recipe and made this posole recipe of my own.

CHICKEN POSOLE

Meat from one rotissier chicken
 2 poblano chilies{used these the second time I made this and did not notice much of a difference in flavor}
 6 cloves of garlic
1 large onion
1 15.25 oz can white himiny
1 cna kidney beans
I 28 oz can diced totmatoes
1/2 tsp kosher salt{or to taste}
2 tsp dried Mexican or orageno
2 TBS oilive oil

1. Preheat broiler and broil plobanos on baking sheet until blackened-about fifteen minutes. Turning as needed.
    2. Meanwhile, in food processor, whirl, garlic to mince. Cut onion into chunks and pulse in processor until chopped. Remove skin from plobanos(they will easily slip off the chili) , remove seeds, chop, and puree into onion garlic mix.
3. Drain hominy and beans, set aside
4. Shred chicken
5. Brown onion garlic mixture
6. Add chicken, broth, tomatoes, and orageano. Bring to boil
7. Add hominy, and beans. Cook until warmed through.
8. Stir in poblanos and cook two minutes. Ladle into bowls and top with garnishs
Garnishes: Sour cream, lime wedges, cilantro, crushed tortilla chips, thinly sliced radish's and avacado


Tasty and filling. Even the picky toddler ate it two days in row. 

No comments: